Heat Shield Your Windows on the CheapPublished 2021-6-5
This is more just a note for myself so I don't forget, but I found what looks like a good solution to reducing heat in my office - which is the only room in the house that gets light in from large windows, and from two sides.
- New windows are not an option when renting (and hecka pricey)
- Blackout curtains make it dark, but they actually capture the heat inside.
- Window Heat Film can be a great solution... but only for small windows
- Aluminum foil is the cheapest option, and looks the worst.
- Perforated Reflective Barrier Foil isn't as cheap, but looks slightly better.
"US Energy Products Radiant Barrier Reflective Foil Insulation 500sqft (4ft x 125ft Roll) Commercial Grade, No Tear, Double Sided, Perforated Aluminum (Attic Insulation, Windows, Garages, Greenhouses)"
"500 sqft Radiant Barrier Shielding Reflective Insulation Layer (4FT×125 FT) Perforated and Breathable Double-Sided Aluminum foil Woven Insulation Material, (4FT×125FT)"
You can only really find it 4' (4 feet) or (48" inches). Well, there are also 51' if you're willing to buy in bulk, and I did find a few small sheets of 60", but I can't find it again (I only need about 10 feet, so 6x10 would work for me).
- 48" (~120cm) See above
- 51" (~130cm) https://amzn.to/3vZqW6P
- 60" (~150cm) https://atticfoil.com/index.php/products/60-wide-super-wide/
Or, if you're planning ahead and can wait 60 days for shipping, you might find a few more options here:
Perforated Reflective Foil on Alibaba
See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO_xbi5tXqc.
By AJ ONeal
Did I make your day?
Buy me a coffee